About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Sunday, February 11, 2018

the turtle akbar

  • Gift of G.A. de Graag www.rijkmuseum.nl
Before I do anything else, let me offer you the link to this piece over at the Rijksmuseum, so you can really see and enjoy it.  This is a print (woodcut) by Dutch artist Julie de Graag (1877-1924), immortalizing turtle Akbar, dog Max, and cat...uh, Puss.  ("Poes" in Dutch.)  There is very little in English-language scholarship to date about de Graag, which is a pity, as her woodcuts of animals and nature are devastating in their skill and beauty.  Look:

  • Gift of G.A. de Graag www.rijkmuseum.nl

Three Cats, 1916

  • Gift of M. J.. de Graag www.rijkmuseum.nl
Ferns, 1920
I was able to find an entry on de Graag in the Dictionary of Women Artists (1997).  

No comments: