About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Sunday, January 28, 2007

thou hath my dog sir

Your curator-type host needs to take a brief break for a day or two due to travel. I swear I'll be right back after that. But believe me, you will have plenty to read if you go to the excellent article I've found for you today.

From The Journal of the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation's Autumn 2004 issue, it's James Breig's look at how "The Eighteenth Century Goes to the Dogs." You'll see what people offered for lost dog rewards; read philosopher Jeremy Bentham's words on why dogs and other beasts shouldn't be made to suffer; and how the English diarist Samuel Pepys dealt with King Charles II's dog when it "fouled" the boat. There's lots of good things in there that I'm tempted to follow up upon in later posts.

Enjoy.

No comments: