About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

a dog's epitaph

On the ancient tombstone of a dog, in Greece:
Thou passest on the path, if happily thou dost mark this monument,
Laugh not, I pray thee,
Though it is a dog's grave, tears fell for me,
and the dust was heaped above me by a master's hand,
who likewise engraved these words upon my tomb.

-- from Mary Elizabeth Thurston, The Lost History of the Canine Race: Our 15,000-Year Love Affair with Dogs (Kansas City: Andrews and McMeel, 1996), p. 45.

No comments: