About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Friday, September 21, 2007

mah birthday

That's what it is today, mah birthday. And Rick's. Hi Rick! And my grandpa's too, but sadly for me he is no longer with us. When I was a little girl he made me feel like we were the only people in the world with this birthday. Which is terribly indulgent of the innate selfishness of the young, but you see, he was the kind of man who didn't mind that at all.

I miss him every day, but a little more today.

The people we love should live forever, shouldn't they? Rhetorical question. But how long will your favorite pet type person live? Let's see. . .

An Australian cattle dog named Bluey, who died in 1939 at age 29, is thought to have been the world's oldest dog.

Oldest cats - well, you get into a welter of conflicting claims there, but thirty-ish isn't unheard of by a long shot. See this page for a lot of old kitties.

The oldest living rabbit, according to the Guinness Book of World Records is "Sniffles." This dwarf rabbit was born in February 1991. But I can't find any follow up, and that's looking iffy.

Ferrets live up to about 10 years, though reports of 15 have been heard.

Don't even get into birds - oh, too late:
Finches - 15 years Canaries - 15 years Budgies - 15 years Cockatiels - 20 years Lovebirds - 20 years Conures - 30 years Amazons - 50 years African Greys - 50 years Cockatoos - 65 years Macaws - 60 years Doves and Pigeons - 20 years

And with that, I'm off to party.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what about turtles- sheesh they live a long time!
Happy birthday to my favorite (and only) Blogette.