About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Monday, October 29, 2007

aztec cat stats

I'm busy.
But I found something I had, HAD to post, courtesy of the great oddball site Infowisps.
Although the veneration of cats is more associated with Ancient Egypt, cats
were also symbolically important to the tlatoani - the Aztec rulers of the
pre-Hispanic era. Chimalpopoca (died 1427) ordered his scribes to record the
lives and deaths of some 300 pet cats, all of which were named after local
flowers and plants. The most common cause of feline death is given as 'fatigue'
(131 cats), while some of the more unusual reasons for visiting the dirtbox in
the sky include the following: 'collapsed while praying' (8 cats), 'jumped from
a boat' (3), 'struck down by wildfire' (3), 'rolled into the unknown', 'ate
ricaqli pods till burst' and 'pecked by the oracle's geese' (one each).

No comments: