About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Monday, November 12, 2007

expressionist dog

* Note: the earlier title ("expressionist cat") has to do with me being positive I'd quickly find an image of Marc's Three Cats. Oh, and being half asleep. Bad curator!

Franz Marc (1880-1916) was a member of German's Blaue Reiter (Blue Rider) group, which produced art making strong emotional and symbolic statements through a use of dramatic color and form. He was fond of horse imagery, and his colors are allied with identification: blue is more masculine, yellow more feminine. Other animals appeared in his work, though none so devotedly as the horse. Tragically, the day before he was killed in battle in WWI, he was present at the bombing of a stableful of horses. I was told that story in grad school and I still hate it.


Take a look at 1910-11's gentle Dog Lying in the Snow, from the Stadelsches Kunstinstitut, Frankfurt.

No comments: