About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Saturday, January 17, 2009

"a novel must be exceptionally good to live as long as the average cat"

That's a quote from Philip Dormer Stanhope, 4th Earl of Chesterfield (British, 1694-1773). Generally known as "Lord Stanhope," he was a politician and man of letters, a mover, shaker and manipulator. He was married to the illegitimate daughter of George I, whom I must say I didn't know HAD any "byblows." He was renowned for his manners and ability to turn a phrase, but his calculation and snobbery won him little warmth. He wasn't much for novels, it seems - he also remarked upon "The mere brute pleasure of reading - the sort of pleasure a cow must have in grazing."

At his death he left a lifetime annuity to his favorite cat and its descendants, probably the only creatures that never judged or used him.

(**Curator's note: I do regret my typing errors (now fixed). And Parlance, see comments, is actually right come to think of it. Grin!)

2 comments:

parlance said...

Wait a minute... Am I reading what I think I'm reading? "His cats never used him?' Cats?They've been using the human race since time immemorial. Very cleverly and subtlely, I'll admit.

Now, dogs, that's a different story...

Everycat said...

Wise man that Lord Stanhope.

W.Wuudler