About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Friday, August 07, 2009

another greek pet tomb inscription

Surely even as thou liest dead in this tomb I deem the wild beasts yet fear thy white bones, huntress Lycas; and thy valour great Pelion knows, and splendid Ossa and the lonely peaks of Cithaeron.

-- Simonides, On a Thessalian Hound

Bonus! Inscription for a different kind of pet:
On Democritus would I the grasshopper draw deep sleep when I let loose shrill music from my wings; and Democritus over me when I was dead reared this fitting tomb, О wayfarer, nigh to Oropus.

-- Phaennus, On a Grasshopper



From John William Mackail, ed. and trans., Select Epigrams from the Greek Anthology (London, New York, and Bombay: Longmans, Green, and Co., 2nd ed., 1906), pp. 170-171 passim.

No comments: