About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Monday, September 28, 2009

more medieval cats on pages

As you probably have figured out by now I do love a sprightly manuscript detail. Turns out the Getty Museum has one I've missed. From England, about mid 13th century, a couple of white cats go after brown mice, with mixed results - or perhaps it's a comic book-style telling of a cat's failed bid to hang on to mousie, as it shows up immediately underneath in its own vignette looking perky and even triumphant. I'm particularly impressed with the skilled elegance with which the cats are drawn, not a line wasted.

Of course copyright forbids my posting the image, but I'll send you right to it here.

2 comments:

Noll's Nip said...

That is so cool. Thanks for sharing.

curator said...

I'm glad you enjoyed. Thanks for visiting - I think I'll go visit you right now.