About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Thursday, March 11, 2010

a french cat's manners

While watching Elizabeth put an uncompromising headlock on poor Bac' while the latter was trying to eat the good squishy cat food, I thought of this French poem from the 17th century. (My lovely Elizabeth could stand some old fashioned manners. What are the chances, do you think?)

Grisette Dines

Always well behaved am I,
Never scratch and never cry;
Only touch the diner's hand,
So that he can understand
That I want a modest share
Of the good things that are there.
If he pay but scanty heed
To my little stomach's need,
I beg him with a mew polite
To give me just a single bite.
Greedy though that diner be,
He will share his meal with me.

-- by Antoinette Du Ligier de la Garde Deshoulières

3 comments:

A few Good Cats said...

Ah, Grisette, quelle jolie chatte!

Grisette has her human well-trained, obedient to the slightest touch or clearing of the throat... and so as Good Cats we agree that Elizabeth should pay heed to this classy French cat.

DILLIGAF said...

Maximus Spittimus is alarmed to be advised that the French eat horses.

Whilst he will eat anything, edible or otherwise, he believes horses are a little too big at this time.

Never the less. He appreciates your sentiments...;-)

Four Dinners
Aide de Camp
http:/maximusspittimus.blogspot.com

Cliff and Olivia said...

Great little poem. Thanks for sharing.