About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Monday, January 17, 2011

city bully

image by kind permission of the artist

That's the title of this photograph by artist Jennifer Silva: "City Bully." Doesn't look like much of a thug, does he? Silva has a deft touch at bringing out the sweet side of these powerful, intelligent, and yet vulnerable dogs.

"It's all about spreading as much pitty love as possible," she wrote me. "The reason I started [doing] primarily pit bull photography is purely vain; I love my 2 pit bulls, Marcus and Lucius, and I wanted other people to love them too. Also, when I started my shop pit bull related art was limited, but I am ecstatic to see that it has since taken off and more artists are spreading love."

She says of this particular work that it's one of her favorite dogs posing in one of her favorite spots in her town of Jacksonville, FL. The washed sepia printing gives the image an instant air of time gone by, and when I saw this piece I could not help but think of the many dogs I have passed in my life. They were many sizes, shapes and colors, as dogs are, but most of them had this same ageless look of entreaty. I mean, if there's one thing any dog knows, it's how to say a wordless "Oh, please. . ." Please - give me that sandwich? Please don't hurt me? Please find me a home? Pits ask all those things just like any dog, and that's why I find this piece so appealing.

You're sure to like Jennifer Silva's other pit bull pieces too - visit her Etsy shop to see them.

3 comments:

Ann Dziemianowicz said...

What a beautiful shot! Love the color.

Katnip Lounge said...

He DOES look like all he wants is a few (hundred) pats.

Guinea Pig Hutch said...

This is a beautiful picture of a very powerful pet! Thanks for sharing this brilliant picture!