About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Monday, May 23, 2011

a bold rabbit

wikimedia commons [public domain]

Does this style look familiar? This is another illustration by Boris Artzybasheff for the 1922 book Verotchka's Tales, in this case for "The Story of a Bold Rabbit with Cock Eyes and a Short Tail."
"This rabbit was born in the woods," the story begins,



and was scared of everything. If a branch cracked anywhere or a bird flew past or a lump of snow fell from a tree, his rabbit heart went down, down, down into his furry boots. Now this little rabbit was afraid for a day, for two days, for a week, for a whole year. But when he was grown up, he just got tired of being a scared rabbit.

"I am not afraid of anybody!" he shouted through the woods. "I am not afraid at all! I am not afraid of anything or of anybody, and that's all there is to it!"

And how did that work for him? You may read that for yourself here.

2 comments:

Katnip Lounge said...

The stories are enchanting! I bookmarked the site.

curator said...

Laura, I did NOT know that! Well, that's fortuitous timing.
Hi Katnip L!
What is up with the crazy spacing on Blogger? I can't get it to behave.