About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Thursday, January 19, 2012

a cat relaxes in a warm garden

thanks wikipaintings.org - public domain
Here is Raminou, who belonged to the French painter Suzanne Valadon (1865-1938).  He pops up in her work now and again in his kitty life; this is from 1932. I was hoping she had painted him looking at snow or in an otherwise wintry mood, as I'm currently housebound under a sheet of ice and snow 5 inches thick, and looked for something along that theme today.  Such was not to be.  Instead I'll wish myself into this work, "Raminou and pitcher with carnations," where it's warm and lush (Valadon was good at simple animal lushness) and this fine smug cat needs his chin tickled.
Valadon was a free spirit to be reckoned with.  You might find this short biography interesting.

2 comments:

The Lee County Clowder said...

Raminou looks quite content on that table.

Anita said...

I want a relax garden too!!