About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Thursday, November 22, 2012

thanksgiving cat poem (thanks oliver herford)


A Thanksgiving Fable.
It was a hungry pussy cat, upon Thanksgiving morn,
And she watched a thankful little mouse that ate an ear of corn.
"If I ate that thankful little mouse, how thankful he should be,
When he has made a meal himself, to make a meal for me! 
Then with his thanks for having fed, and his thanks for feeding me, 
With all his thankfulness inside, how thankful I shall be!" 
Thus mused the hungry pussy cat, upon Thanksgiving Day; 
But the little mouse had overheard and declined (with thanks) to stay. 

—Our hero, Oliver Herford, in the Oregon Teachers' Monthly, Vol. 19 no. 3 (November 1914), p. 129.

1 comment:

jen said...

Happy Thanksgiving!