About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Monday, February 25, 2013

bulldog suicide - or?

thanks wikimedia commons (PD)
(Above is George Earl's Michael the Archangel, an oil from 1870.  I'm sure he didn't do away with himself - I like his face too much.)
Full disclosure: I got today's post from the Breakfast Links list over at Two Nerdy History Girls.  It's too odd and interesting not to share.  Though I'm going to direct you to an article that lists off apparent dog suicides as recorded in the 19th-century media, you'll note a theme to the reportage.  According to that, these tragic creatures were managing to make statements with their deaths - about the innate nobility of dogs, the ignobility of men, and the inequities of wealth.  Give the article a shot and see what you think.

No comments: