About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Thursday, February 07, 2013

franz marc: horse and dog

thanks wikimedia commons (PD)
Blue: to Franz Marc (German; 1880-1916) this was the color of spirituality and masculinity.  This is his "Horse and Dog" of 1913, with a large, powerfully modeled horse arching over his smaller brown companion like the sheltering roof of a house.  Look also at the sensitive curls that build the horse's face and eye, curls that seem to translate into surrounding leafy forms.  Meanwhile the dog sits with an air of contentment, perhaps even sleepiness (I think it looks sleepy.  Phallic, too, but I suppose Marc's still working with his horse symbolism there).  There is tenderness and peace here, invoked with very little in the way of detail but all the more pure to me for that.  I'm a Marc fan anyway, as you longtime readers know.

1 comment:

Bernadette said...

I haven't seen Franz Marc for a while--a wonderful step back to that period immediately following Impressionism! I didn't like them at first, being enchanted by Impressionism, but love them now. I may need to do a few cats after Marc or Klee or Kandinsky.

Also glad I could sign up for your posts in e-mail! Nice to see your posts each day.