About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

my favorite bremen town musicians

thanks wikimedia commons
(public domain, azerbaijan republic)
“I’ll tell you what,” said the donkey, “I am going to Bremen to be Town Musician; come with me and take to music too. I will play the lute, and you shall beat the drum.”
That's part of the story of The Bremen Town Musicians, in which four animals decide not to accept their certain (and deadly) fates at home, instead striking out for a musical life on the road.  This likable take on the tale, featuring what honestly are my fave two (a donkey! a cat! so freaking Dada!), is a 1997 postage stamp from Azerbaijan.  I love its scrappy, brave feel.  Been a while since you've read the story?  Here it is.

No comments: