About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Monday, September 02, 2013

windham quin and his dog

Stephen Slaughter, 1697-1765, British, Windham Quin of Adare, Co. Limerick, Ireland, ca. 1745, Oil on canvas, Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection. public domain
Stephen Slaughter became Keeper of the King's Pictures in 1744, but seems primarily to be known for the portraits he created in many of Ireland's great houses.  Here's one: Windham Quin, whom I believe was the father of the first Earl of Dunraven and Mount-Earl.  I'd be the first one to tell you this is yet another of the shooting sportsman genre, but I was drawn to the smile on the dog's face and his beseeching paw.  Quin has a gentle hand on his companion in turn.  Altogether a very likable example of the theme.

2 comments:

Traveling Cats said...

Happy Labor Day! Meow.

curator said...

And to YOU! : )