About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Sunday, December 01, 2013

blue cat: introducing martha knox

http://marthaknox.squarespace.com/
image copyright and by kindest permission of martha knox
This linocut by Philadelphia artist Martha Knox fills me with energy.  The bulk of the cat is clearly and simply described, but mixed with the bright pop of the colors this reminds me of watching my own girls sitting ready to rocket at a split second's notice.  Don't let those squinty eyes fool you.  Boom.
There's much more at Martha's Etsy shop, including this sunwashed woodcut of a black and white cat, which was my other choice for today. I really enjoy her command of the telling cat posture, and her deft feeling for color.  Here's a bit about the artist herself:
Martha Knox is a fine art printmaker specializing in woodcuts. She earned her MFA from the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts in 2006 and has exhibited widely at art centers, university galleries, and independent art spaces. She maintains a studio practice in the Germantown neighborhood of Philadelphia.
Check out her website at www.marthaknox.com, too.

No comments: