About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Thursday, February 06, 2014

a dog and the light on the river

image copyright and by kindest permission of the artist
Light on running water: ripples, stripes, small pools and sheets of the entire color spectrum.  Now add a big dog and watch the water play around him. This is Michigan artist Jenny Robertson's "River Dog," and I know you'll like her story of the furry muse who served as inspiration:
The river dog is my black lab/golden retriever mix Bodhi, and the river is the Platte River in lower peninsula Michigan, where I live. I'm a writer and a painter. I primarily draw and paint from life, but this particular painting was a winter project based on a photo I'd taken the summer before. Bodhi would live in the river if we let him. He stands in the current, chooses rocks almost the size of his head, dives down for them, and piles them on the riverbank, over and over. I wanted to play with color and pattern in this painting, and also to capture my dog at his most happy.
I like Robertson's fresh and playful color sense, and her sense of energy in organic forms (look at these poppies).  You can see more of her work at her Etsy shop Tributary Art, and at her Society 6 page.

No comments: