About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Monday, March 03, 2014

polished grooming, child and dog

thanks wikipaintings.org (PD)
Here's John Singer Sargent around 1882 with a portrait of young Beatrice Townsend.  Her parents were part of Sargent's circle in Florence Italy, and I can't help but wonder if that's where this lovely child got her dress sense. (Admittedly, it's probably her mother's dress sense.) I don't believe it was common in 1880's America to dress a girl child in black unless there was mourning in the house.  This does not look like a mourning costume - not with that waist sash.
But what I want to get at is this: once you've stopped looking at the shiny, sleek perfection of Beatrice, do notice how very clean and silky her shaggy dog looks.  Granted, he must be meant as a comic foil, but he's clearly been made comb-perfect and shiny.  I don't often post on Sargent because he's everywhere and I prefer to explore, but this one I could not resist.

4 comments:

curator said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
curator said...

That's weird. I didn't say anything....

Unknown said...

Now you can get useful information about your pets like about the feed, health and their breed and more info online.
_______________
Dog Vaccines & Soap Chain Belt Walker Shampoo Bed Nail Cutter

Psychotherapy Chennai said...

This article is very helpful thank you very much for sharing .