About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Monday, December 08, 2014

a vintage poster with a timeless reminder

thanks freevintageposters.com. believed PD in good faith.
Here's a sweet reminder of what we all know:  "Be Kind to Animals," says this poster from the State Humane Office for Wisconsin.  The girl and her tenderly wrapped dog are by Morgan Dennis (1892-1960), who's best known for his dog illustrations in advertising campaigns and public service posters over the war years.  His work tends to have this sketched look to it, with the sort of technique where you clearly see the strokes of the pencil.  I like that; it makes me reflect on the hand and thought that made this image come to be, and if I were any good with my hands I could learn a bit about how to shade forms into a fluffy dog and his loving girl.

No comments: