About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Monday, April 27, 2015

cat on an unclawed cover

“York Museums Trust Online Collection,” OpenGLAM Open Collections, accessed April 27, 2015, http://opencollections.okfn.org/items/show/123. License CC BY-SA 
Right now I have a crush on the York Museums Trust.  I'm finding the sort of items there I don't normally get to share, such as yesterday's stirrup cup and today's cushion cover - domestic things that a wider variety of people might have.  This cushion cover was cross stitched in wool around 1830-1845 on a linen-lined canvas backing.  The flowers and leaves are so stylized as to almost look like flags to me when first I saw them, but if I had to sit and stitch my own cushions, assuredly the result would be nowhere near as appealing.

No comments: