About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Monday, May 04, 2015

a bright-eyed cassatt portrait for monday

courtesy wikiart.org (PD)
Normally I stay away from Mary Cassatt (1844-1926) because she's inescapable anyway:  mother and baby here, women in garden there.  Not that she wasn't an excellent artist.  She was, as you see here in this Portrait of Mie Louise Durand Ruel (1911).  I bring you this Cassatt this morning because I haven't seen it before and it has a scrappier feel than her usual output.  Mie's dark eyes are bright and curious, and her dog is such a wiry-haired little scamp by the looks of him. This is the kind of spirit you need for a Monday.

No comments: