About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Friday, June 19, 2015

dog on doghouse

thanks wikimedia commons user daderot. cc0 1.0 license
This is a tchotchke in glazed, hard-paste porcelain with gilded details, identified as from the Du Paquier factory circa 1730-40.  Despite its name this factory was based in Vienna, which threw me a bit until I was able to find this press release from a Met exhibition of the manufacturer's wares.  Du Paquier porcelain was a luxury item, and pieces graced Imperial and noble homes in the 18th century.  I can't tell how large this dog and his house actually are, so I have to guess what purpose he might have served.  Did he hold bonbons? Rings? Letters?  If you know, I'd love to hear from you!

No comments: