About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Thursday, August 03, 2017

dog cameo

By Jonathan Cardy (Own work) [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)],
 via Wikimedia Commons
The Wikipedia Commons page for this jewel states that this photo was taken at the Georgian National Museum.  While I wasn't able to find this item in the collections available online, I was intrigued by the Museum website - you should have a look.  There are many curious and beautiful items there.  Then you might like to read this essay at the Met about the history of cameos.  The Romans appreciated dogs for their fidelity among other reasons; I wonder if this was a gift to a wife.

No comments: