About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Thursday, September 06, 2012

it's all about the ball

copyright and by kindest permission of the artist
Perhaps because I have a young animal dancing about my home again, my heart went out to this joyful print:  "The Ball (With a Dog)," by artist Katia Lom.  Just a few lines neatly encapsulating form - you know what a fan I am of a good line - and oh! the ball, bright red, the source of all fun and delight! You cannot look away! Exactly.  And now imagine my own delight when Katia wrote me to say that not only is she a visual artist, but a choreographer, currently working and living in North London.  Now I see how she understands the language of movement so very well.  Let me quote her a bit, below:
 "I am based in North London and have been painting the landscapes that can be found amongst the buildings and streets of my neighborhood. I have a small dog who is a great inspiration (the print "The Ball (with a dog)" is based on him). It's also on our many walks together that I discover spots I later return to paint."
She also volunteers at Battersea Dogs & Cats Home.  Animals' welfare is close to her heart, and is a theme she's bringing into her work.  She also creates her visual pieces out of a strong wish to keep connected to nature in the middle of a large city.  I deeply appreciate that wish and her work, which you can see at her Etsy shop moppetandmittens.  Much more art, including her choreography, is at her main website www.katialom.co.uk.  You will love going there.

No comments: