About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Sunday, November 25, 2007

william cowper on his kitten

I have a kitten the drollest of all creatures that ever wore a cat's skin. Her
gambols are not to be described, and would be incredible, if they could. In
point of size she is likely to be a kitten always, being extremely small of her
age, but time, I suppose, that spoils everything, will make her also a cat. You
will see her, I hope, before that melancholy period shall arrive, for no
wisdom that she may gain by experience and reflection hereafter will compensate
the loss of her present hilarity. She is dressed in a tortoise-shell suit, and I
know that you will delight in her.

from The Works of William Cowper: His Life, Letters, and Poems (R. Carter & Brothers, 1851). William Cowper (British, 1731-1800) was a popular poet who wrote of everyday life in his time. It's pronounced "cooper", incidentally.

No comments: