About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

hark, hark, the dogs do bark. . .

. . . The beggars are coming to town.
Some in rags, and some in jags,
And one with a velvet gown.

Remember that nursery rhyme? When I was little it never occurred to me to ask what they were coming for. Turns out that this rhyme goes back to 13th century England, and the "beggars" might be wandering minstrels or storytellers passing on propaganda within their tales. It's also possible that the "beggars" may be the monks turned out of the monasteries during Henry VIII's savage backlash against the Catholic Church. Check that stuff out here at www.rhymes.org.uk.

No comments: