About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Thursday, May 01, 2008

my name is ichi

. . . says a little kitten by Iwao Akiyama.

Born in 1921 on Kyushu, the southern island of Japan, Iwao Akiyama learned to draw at age 8 by watching a Buddhist priest. And of his life since, he says,

"Now, I am over 80 years old, but I am still searching for my philosophy and always searching for my inspiration for my Hanga (Prints). I have applied myself to the study of folklore and of Buddhism. I will listen to my Hanga, always."

Bold, deft and sweet, his cats, his owls, and other subjects face you with a simplicity and joy of being. I so love his cats... see a variety on this page.

No comments: