About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Sunday, August 09, 2009

a gorgeous sunday slideshow, courtesy the boston mfa

Ah! Grab your hot Sunday beverage of choice, or perhaps a cool glass of Sunday wine, and scroll at your leisure through the 116 images in the Boston MFA's slideshow, "Collection Tour: MFA Images: Cats and Dogs."

There are a great many Japanese works included (some duplicated, I notice), and I must say I have not run across most of them before. I'm saying this over my sighs for #22, "New Herbs (Wakana) II from the series the Tale of Genji," in which three plump kittens drowse upon a green mat.

The stolid patience of the old dog in #86, Clonney's "The Sleigh Ride" of circa 1845, may make your eyes mist over a little. I've been an Arthur Rackham fan since way back, so I have always loved #116, a 1909 print of a determined cat marching off to do a deed in the village (anybody remember what Grimm tale that was?).

Why not have a scroll?

No comments: