About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Monday, May 24, 2010

1910: inconvenient air cat

Big thanks to A Few Good Cats for alerting me to this. . .
100 years ago a cat made aviation history through simply doing what cats do: that is, slinking past everybody's sight and hiding. On an airship. In a lifeboat.
Well, that wasn't exactly the momentous event. That happened when the yowling and howling became too much for the crew's nerves, prompting the first-ever in-flight radio message to ground personnel (Spoiler alert, kids, naughty language):

"Roy, come and get this goddamn cat!"

Introductory bit and photo on this from BoingBoing here. Be sure and read the posts below, because they are informative and funny. Bonus: a hysterical illustration by a BoingBoing fan. I think I have my new wallpaper.

1 comment:

Katnip Lounge said...

Priceless! I like how Humans dicovered that Kiddo was a good (air)ship's mate. Of course! Cats are perfect for every occasion.