About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

hot pink wash cloth (scratchy too!)

image copyright and by kindest permission of the artist



That's what a cat's tongue is: a hot pink wash cloth. (I added the scratchy part.) That little dab of warmth really pops in this work, which was done in charcoal and pastel. Pastel is such a delicious medium, easily making rich dense clouds of color.
This cuddly and surefooted little piece is from Sam Battersby, an artist residing in Sydney, Australia. When I asked her whether the Asian feel to her work was simply a figment of my imagination, she said that it was quite true for she'd been a fan of Japanese watercolors for some time. You'll easily see that when you visit Matou en Peluche ("Plush Tomcat"), her Etsy shop. I recommend you also have a look at her The Cat and the Canaries and birds having a Persimmon Breakfast, but you will be happy with everything you see.

6 comments:

Sam said...

Thank you so much Andree! Such an honour to be featured on your charming blog!!

Katnip Lounge said...

You had me at the title!

Art and Sew Forth said...

What a cute shop! I hearted it. Love kitties!

cate said...

I love the work of Matou en Peluche :) Great post

Ann Dziemianowicz said...

Oh, so lovely! Her work is so delicate. Luv!

DamnCuteBunny said...

Really like the artwork, Asian-inspired with humor! Thanks for showcasing this artist's work.