About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Tuesday, July 02, 2013

eakins watches a dog take on the landscape

thanks wikimedia commons (public domain)
This might be a late spring/early summer dawn by the look of that sky. That is the kind of sky I see right now outside my window, though it's not around 1874 any more and I don't live in Pennsylvania.  Later it will burn off and the world will blaze and chirp under the sun, and hunting dogs will find shady places to sleep.  (This dog looks a great deal like our Briar.)  But right now, and in this intense Thomas Eakins oil sketch, it is still cool and green enough to have a look around while everyone else is sleeping.
Eakins (1844-1916) was and is one of the primary figures in American art history and a man of great complexity - have an introduction here.

No comments: