About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Thursday, September 26, 2013

a dog makes for fine lounging

image copyright and courtesy www.lacma.org. public domain
Click on this one to get a really good look at the furry fellow.  Here is Ernest Narjot's "Portrait of a Girl with Dog" from 1879, a relaxed, sundrenched portrait of two friends, one trusting, one protective.  Narjot was French, but spent his artistic career in California, so now you know exactly how that dry, clear golden palette came about.  The moment I spotted this I thought, "Wine country?" And I think that is a touch too far north for this piece, but I was close.  Here's a bit on Narjot.  And I want to ask if that dog could look any prouder of himself.

No comments: