About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Sunday, September 08, 2013

the soul of helena

image courtesy of the getty's open content program
Strangely enough, this marble gravestone provided by some fond Roman circa 150-200 AD most likely is not for a dog. According to the information at the Getty (the fortunate owner of this piece), it's probably for a foster daughter or a slave raised in the family: "To Helena, foster daughter, the incomparable and worthy soul."  I think the dog symbolizes not only the loyalty of the departed, but the sheer appealing quality of the carving indicates to me that Helena was very dear to the heart of the mourner.

No comments: