About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Thursday, March 19, 2015

study of a smile

thanks wikimedia commons (PD)
John Henry Dolph (American, 1835-1903) was once called "the Landseer of America," and when I look at this undated Study of  a Dog I can see why. He's using the same noble postures, dramatic cast to the light, and sensitivity to the intelligent glow in this fellow's face.  (Really look at a Landseer dog sometime and you'll see what I mean.)  We've seen a lighter side to Dolph before here at the Museum with a kitten vs. butterfly confection.

No comments: