About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Monday, May 18, 2015

a polished cat

Raymond and Frances Bushell Collection (M.91.250.140) courtesy www.lacma.org (PD)
This 18th-century Japanese netsuke is made of wood, but so highly polished I thought at first look it was carved of stone.  Netsuke were often comic portrayals, and this one is no different:  a bulbous kitty with a funny look on his face, and one of his ears worn down to a nubbin.  A netsuke was a drawstring-clasp for a pocketbook of sorts, so this fellow was no doubt petted all day as he opened and closed.  I'm sure, too, he was petted for himself.  That must be where the ear went.

No comments: