About Me

My photo
Washington, United States
loves: you win if you guessed "pets" and "museums". Also books, art history, travel, British punk, Korean kimchi, bindis, martinis, and other things TBD. I will always make it very clear if a post is sponsored in any way. Drop me a line at thepetmuseum AT gmail.com !

Sunday, December 04, 2016

the countess' two dogs

Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection (PD)
England, 1787: here's "The Countess of Effingham with Gun and Shooting Dogs," and I get the sense she's been telling those two to whoa and stay for a a while.  They want to go back to the field and work, clearly.
The definition of a shooting or gun dog is one that is bred to help retrieve game, usually birds.  They may be retrievers, flushing dogs, or pointers:  they go fetch the bird, or they run up and make the bird fly out of its cover, or they point out exactly where the bird is hiding.  I can't tell which sort these are (Setters? They are big enough) but they are a handsome pair.
George Haugh executed this piece; I do believe this portrait by Benjamin West shows the same woman 10 years later.

No comments: